Sometimes things just come up. You get invited to an event or a friend calls and wants to stop by. Like, now. Sweet potato hummus is one of my quick, go-to recipes for when I don’t have a lot of time to do prep or cook. It’s healthy AND tasty, which makes you look like you put a lot of thought into it. But don’t worry. It’ll be our little secret. 😉
Sweet Potato Hummus
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked and skinned
- 1 can chick peas, partially drained
- 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/8-1/4 cup olive oil (I just add until consistency is what I want)
- salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder (to taste)
- splash of lemon juice (optional)
Throw it all in a food processor and blend away! If you only have a large sweet potato, use half. Tastes great with veggie sticks (carrots, zucchini, celery), homemade pita chips (see below), toast, or just on a spoon.
Homemade Pita Chips
- 1 package large whole wheat pita pockets
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, onion, garlic powders
Preheat oven to 350. With a small basting brush, spread olive oil over pita pocket. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion, garlic powders to your preference. Cut pita into 6-8 triangles, pizza slice style. Repeat with other pitas. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crispy, usually about 15-20 mins.